Thursday, June 24, 2010

Nirvana

Sometimes all it takes is a quick run to Starbucks across the street to have the conversation that puts a smile on my face. It's another 95 degree day and an iced latte was calling my name so I quickly respond and run inside ready to cool off. A middle-aged Indian man cuts in front of me ( I'm not sure if he saw that I was waiting in line so I'm not judging) and orders some coffee. He takes out a Starbucks card to pay and the cashier says it didn't go through. He tries another card which works fine and turns around to say to me:

Indian Man: That was embarassing. Or not embarassing, rather unmindful.
Me ( smiling trying not to be awkward): Oh, it doesn't matter. It's ok.

Starbucks guy is excusing himself for making me wait while he's trying to get the man's coffee.

Me ( to Starbucks guy): It's ok. I'm in no rush. Take your time.
Indian Man: Really? You must be really unique then. Everyone's always in a rush.

He continues to stare at me intently, intrigued that I am not in a rush.

Indian Man: So how do you do it? You're always in Nirvana? Got the Zen going on? What's the secret?
Me: I'm just taking my coffee break and not really rushing anywhere so I might as well take my time and relax.
Indian Man: Ok. Good for you. Have a nice day. Bye. (or something like that)

Then it's my turn to order and I start interrogating the Starbucks guy about how they decide the order of adjectives because everytime I order a "tall, iced, latte" they yell out "iced, tall, latte." Who decides this order? I think the size should come before the description, but I won't worry too much over this lest I lose my zen.

No comments:

Post a Comment