Thursday, July 22, 2010

Anonymity and Finiteness

On my way back from work today, as I was crossing the street, the following conversation ensued:

Man: Excuse me, are you from around here?
Me: I am still relatively new but can try to help if you're asking for directions.
Man: How long have you been in DC for?
Me: Almost a year.
Man: That's not new anymore.
Me: What are you looking for?
Man: The German Marshall Fund.
Me: Nope. Sorry. Don't know where that is. Do you know the streets/intersection?
Man: No, but they did tell me to walk this way and that I will walk past a triangle/island in the street.
Me: Yes. That's coming up ahead.
Man: So what do you do?
Me: I am a student. Studying International Development at GW.
Man: Ok. I work at the UN in Geneva so I can relate to your studies.
Me: I've been to Geneva once.
Man: Really? How so?
Me: Orchestra trip. We did the European tour.
Man: What instrument do you play?
Me: Mandolin ( I can never say this with a straight face. Never)
Man: Haha. Really? I played the bamboo flute. Have you ever seen one?
Me: No but I can imagine it's just a bamboo shoot with holes in it.
Man: Pretty much.

At this point we get to the 'triangle' in the road and soon enough see the building for the German Marshall Fund.

Man: Oh look. There it is. You cannot really be credited for helping me find it.
Me: No but I'll take the credit for the company.
Man: Does this happen to you often? People approaching you and start having conversations?
Me: Actually yes. Quite often. In fact, I write a blog about these dialogues. This is definitely going in it tonight.
Man: Do you think it happens to you more than to other people?
Me: I don't know.
Man: So why do you think these encounters happen?
Me: Well, I am still a bit out of my context in DC so am naturally more open to strangers and friendly enough to engage.
Man: And how do you usually take these?
Me: I smile. I think it's comic.
Man: Is this random? Comical? Boring?
Me: No, it's relevant. Definitely random.
Man: You know what it is? It's anonymity and finiteness. You know that after a few minutes you won't see this person again so it is easier to talk to them and then leave. Also, you know you have a limited amount of time so you are never stuck in case the conversation is boring.
Me: I agree. That might explain this and the basis of my blog.
Man: Like on a plane. You know that you will never see the person again and don't mind what you say as long as you are not stuck in a dreadfully boring conversation. Knowing it's finite makes things a lot easier because you don't want to spend an eternity in a dull conversation.
Me: Funny that you mention this because I'm reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven.
Man: So is this a dull conversation?
Me: No, I'm just trying to decide what part of it I'll blog about.
Man: So do you have anything you want to ask me?
Me: Ummm. So what brings you to DC?
Man: Well, I gave for a conference and just gave a speech at the IMF. Which explains why I feel like talking to anyone on the street right now.

By this point, we're in the shade having a conversation on development (which I will spare you), alongside questions of my future plans, etc. We continue for quite a bit, never once shaking hands to exchange our names. Anonymity- so true, so comforting.

Finiteness.
Man: Listen, I am leaving tomorrow afternoon. My time here is limited, but if you want to continue this dialogue, what are you doing at noon tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment