Monday, June 21, 2010

Sunscreen

It's a sunny 80+ degrees in DC today and since I needed my Vitamin D, as well as a lunch break away from this computer, I cross the street to the little park in front of my office and proceed to apply sunblock on my face.

A few minutes into it, a guy walks by and says, " You gonna lather me up?" Then proceeds to sit next to me. Here's more or less of our conversation:

Me: Umm, no, but I'll give you some sunblock.
Him (taking off his hat and extending his face): Here, put some on my face.
Me: I'll give you sunblock but won't put it on you.
Him: Why not?
Me: It's weird. I don't know you.
Him: Then let me introduce myself.
Me: I'll share my sunblock with you. Here. I'm not going to put it on you though.
Him (extending his palm as I give him some): You think this is enough?
Me: Yes.
Him: I walked all the way from the Smithsonian. It's hot outside. I'm from Nebraska.
Me: So you're not used to the weather? I'm from Chicago, so I know what you mean about the cold.
Him: Alright- Midwest.

He is lathering his own face throughout our conversation.

Him: I like to keep stay pale in the summer as much as I can. Like you.
Me: I'm not pale. I'm working on my tan.
Him: Ok. Not pale but lighter than me.
Me: So what are you doing in town?
Him: I'm in the Navy.
Me: Ok. Nice.

By this point, the sunscreen has been absorbed and he gets up, shakes my hand, and leaves. It took about 5 minutes. Really strange but at the end of the day, some people just need to talk.. and other want their faces touched.

2 comments: